Governors Island is growing and changing, with exciting new park spaces and programs coming on line. Be a part of New York’s most exciting summer destination! Become an Alliance Volunteer this summer. Volunteers greet visitors at the docks and help staff summer arts and educational programs. They solicit feedback on public programs and stretch limited public and non-profit resources.
Volunteer on Governors Island!
Volunteered before? Your feedback is invaluable – tell us about your experience! Fill out a quick 3-minute Governors Island Alliance Volunteer Survey.
Volunteer Job DescriptionsWhen you volunteer with GIA you can choose from a variety of jobs. You can choose a different job each time or find one you like and stick with it! At any one time we will only need two or three volunteers on each task, so make sure you sign up early. You may choose to work all day or in one of the morning or afternoon shifts. For all jobs, unless otherwise noted, morning shifts begin at 10am and go until 2 pm and afternoon shifts begin at 1pm and end at 5pm. Be sure to sign up for your desired job and shift online at volunteerspot.com.
GIA Island Ambassador
- Staff the Welcome Table
- Direct guests to specific events
- Sell GIA merchandise such as hats, t-shirts, and maps
- Keep track of all merchandise sales
- Administer and collect guest surveys
- Provide guests with information about events
- Be available to answer general questions
Event Archiving Volunteer:
- Take photos of the events and exciting things happening around the Island
- Take detailed notes about the events as they happen
- Confirm where and when events occur and report any changes to the Welcome Table so guests can be directed appropriately
*This job has the potential for volunteers to represent GIA using social media like Flickr and Twitter to publicize Island events.
National Park Service Volunteer:
- Assist Rangers with historic tours of the Island
- Assist Rangers with historical event management such as Civil War Heritage Weekend and Army Heritage Day
- Help with historic district up-keep
*If this job interests you, you must sign-up with us TODAY. You will work directly with the NPS and will be required to attend a NPS volunteer training session on Sunday, June 2nd and 10 am. The shift schedule for this position may differ from that of GIA volunteers, depending on the NPS schedule and volunteer needs.
Harbor Education Volunteer:
- Arrive early (by 10) to help with set-up of the Harbor Map and other necessary materials
- Assist GIA staff with Harbor Education programming (includes playing games like tag, coloring, running geology Jeopardy and the geography Easter egg hunt)
- Interact with parents and children
- Help with breaking down and putting away the Harbor Map
Earth Matter Volunteer:
- Assist Earth Matter staff with general needs
- Care for Earth Matter animals (goats, chickens)
- Engage and educate visitors about Earth Matter, urban farming, composting, etc.
- Help with composting tasks
*These responsibilities are subject to change at the discretion of Earth Matter staff. Due to construction on the Island, which is disrupting their urban farm, some of these responsibilities might be adjusted.
Plants and Gardening Volunteer:
- Help GIA garden in the historic district!
Special Events Assistant:
- Help with general tasks during special event weekends such as Family Festival, City of Water Day, FIGMENT, etc. (consult calendar for dates)
- Help run the kayaks (only 17+)
About the GIA Volunteer Program
Individual volunteers help staff programs run by GIA, the Trust for Governors Island, Governors Island National Monument, and other on-Island partners. Volunteers can take part in various activities on any given day on the island. They serve as Island Ambassadors welcoming the public to the Island, helping orient visitors and informing them about the Island’s past, present and future. Volunteers also help maintain flower beds in the National Landmark Historic District, work with children and other visitors at the Island’s Harbor Discovery Area and free kayaking program, staff large public events such as City of Water Day, the World Science Festival, and concerts. Click HERE to become a volunteer and learn about specific opportunities.
Large Group Events GIA can help your business, school, church, or synagogue build teamwork and fulfill community service responsibilities. These full- and half-day activities can include planting or other farming work on the Island’s garden or urban farm, painting buildings and building public art, or other large-scale projects. Teams also support events like our annual opening day Family Festival, which features music and dance performances, plus fun and educational arts and crafts projects that are run by volunteers. Past and current clients include Goldman Sachs, American Express, Starwood Hotels, Deutsche Bank, and many others. These group volunteer events can be held on weekdays or weekends, depending on the needs of the group. To learn more about these events please contact Maya Borgenicht at firstname.lastname@example.org or 917.652.6359.
Many thanks to Deutsche Bank for underwriting the GIA Volunteer Program.